What we can do

We can consider complaints about Police & Crime Commissioners (PCCs) and Police & Crime Panel’s (PCPs) in Wales but only about how they handled your complaint.

Our remit is limited. This is because crime is a matter for which the Westminster Government retains control; it is not a function devolved to Wales.

The Police & Crime Commissioner is responsible for investigating complaints against the Chief Constable of their police force. The Police & Crime Panel is responsible for considering complaints against the Police & Crime Commissioner (or his or her Deputy).


What we cannot do

We cannot consider complaints about action taken by a Police & Crime Commissioner in relation to the investigation or prevention of crime or any operational decisions. Our role is therefore limited to considering complaints about the way in which a Police & Crime Commissioner or Police & Crime Panel have handled complaints.


Issues to bear in mind

As the Police & Crime Panel is responsible for dealing with any complaints about a Police & Crime Commissioner (or his or her Deputy), if you are dissatisfied with the way in which a Police & Crime Commissioner has handled your complaint we would normally expect you to take your complaint to your local Police & Crime Panel before complaining to us. The Police & Crime Panels in Wales are hosted by a local authority in the relevant police force’s area (see details below).

In view of our limited role, any complaints which relate to the way in which the police investigate crime, or take operational decisions are not matters we can consider. Complaints of this nature may be considered by your local police force’s Professional Standards Department. If the matter you wish to complaint about is serious or sensitive the Independent Office for Police Conduct may be able to assist you, at: https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/complaints/reviews-and-appeals 


Further Information

Below are contact details for the Professional Standards Departments in the four Welsh police forces if you wish to make a complaint about police officers (below the rank of Chief Constable), other police staff or the way in which the police have investigated a crime.

North Wales Police – https://www.northwales.police.uk/ 

Email: profstandardsenq@nthwales.pnn.police.uk

Post: North Wales Police Headquarters, Glan y Don, Colwyn Bay, Conwy LL29 8AW

Tel: 01492 805486

Dyfed Powys Police – https://www.dyfed-powys.police.uk/ 

Email: psd@dyfed-powys.pnn.police.uk

Post: Professional Standards Department, Dyfed Powys Police. PO Box 99,

Llangynnor, Carmarthen. SA31 2PF.

Tel: 01267 226044

 South Wales Police – https://www.south-wales.police.uk/ 

Email: professional.standards@south-wales.pnn.police.uk

Post: Tŷ Richard Thomas, Newlands Avenue, Brackla Industrial Estate. CF31 2DA

Tel: 01656 302139

Gwent Police – gwent.police.uk 

Post: Gwent PSD, Police Headquarters, Turnpike Road, Croesyceiliog, Cwmbran. NP44 2XJ

Tel: 101

Below are the contact details for the Independent Office for Police Conduct which investigates the most serious and sensitive incidents and allegations involving the police.

Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) – https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/complaints/reviews-and-appeals 

Email: enquiries@policeconduct.gov.uk

Tel: 0300 020 0096

Each local Police & Crime Panel in Wales is hosted by a county or county borough council in the police force’s area. Therefore, if you wish to make a complaint to your local Panel about your Police & Crime Commissioner (or his or her Deputy) below are the contact details for each of the police forces in Wales:

North Wales Police & Crime Panel (hosted by Conwy County Borough Council) – https://www.northwales-pcc.gov.uk/en/Accountability/Police-and-Crime-Panel.aspx 

Email: pcc.complaints@conwy.gov.uk

Post: Lead Officer/Legal Advisor to the North Wales Police & Crime Panel, Conwy County Borough Council, Bodlondeb, Conwy. LL32 8DU

Dyfed Powys Police & Crime Panel (hosted by Carmarthenshire County Council) – https://www.dppoliceandcrimepanel.wales/ 

Email: rjedgeco@carmarthenshire.gov.uk

Post: Carmarthenshire County Council Legal Services, County Hall, Carmarthen. SA 31 1JP

Tel: 01267 224018

 South Wales Police & Crime Panel (hosted by Merthyr County Borough Council) – https://www.merthyr.gov.uk/council/councillors-and-committees/south-wales-police-and-crime-panel/ 

Email: swpcp@merthyr.gov.uk

Post: Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council, Civic Centre, Castle Street, Merthyr Tydfil. CF47 8AN

Gwent Police & Crime Panel (hosted by Caerphilly County Borough Council) – https://www.gwentpcp.org.uk/

Email: gwentcpc@caerphilly.gov.uk

Post: Ty Penallta, Tredomen Park, Ystrad Mynach, Hengoed. CF82 7PG


Contact us

If you are unsure whether we would be able to look into your complaint, please contact us on 0300 790 0203 or ask@ombudsman.wales.

Also available in Welsh.